Le Rocheton was the property of the Rochefoucauld family until the early 19th century. In 1816 the nuns of Saint-Joseph de Lyon settled there and devoted themselves to the education of children and medical care. They had to leave in 1904 when the property was bought by Mr. Kayser, director of a private institution in Paris. In 1918 his wife became the educational director in La Rochette with a syllabus aiming to train young people for the baccalaureate. In 1933 she wrote: "We seek to encourage a liberal, university spirit, welcoming students from all over the world, whatever their religion".
In 1945, in collaboration with the American army and the YMCA movement, the property was used as a transit centre for Eastern war prisoners who couldn't or didn't want to return to their own countries.